Sunday 1 September 2013

It's time to clean the oven

Almost every night this week has resulted in a mini oven fire. Nothing unmanageable....just a big enough fire to pose a risk to dinner. Confession: I am a terrible one for cleaning ovens {I know that surprises you...especially considering the ever rotating dish pile in my sink}. I'm pretty sure in the almost three years we have lived here, I have averaged one clean a year. Even MORE embarrassingly....it's a self clean oven. Shame.

So after Friday nights fire, I have decided it is time to do a proper oven clean. I am even doing it the old fashioned way and NOT using the self clean! This is not because I am trying to attempt any type of extraordinary domestic achievement...it's because my current body temperature is waaaay to high to be turning on ovens for four hours. Thank you bump.

My Mum had told me about these handy bags they sell in England that you put the racks inside of overnight. When you wake up, all you have to do is rinse them and they are brought back to their previous glory. I looked everywhere but they don't sell them here yet. You can order them online but I think Ryan's heart will give out if I yell "Oh my God, it's on fire" one more time while melting plastic cook wear trying to smother it {smart I know...I am really bad at panicking}. So I have doused the entire thing in Easy Off Oven Cleaner and am currently waiting the two hours for it to magically clean my horrible oven.

To be honest, during the wait time, I have lost all interest in actually completing the job....so am hoping I can appeal to Ryan's better nature to finish it. Not that he doesn't work enough during the week ;)

Anyways, enough about my boring oven. I must quickly tell you about the new addiction I have developed to tarts {the kind you eat of course}. They are sold at the French bakery we go to every weekend for breakfast. A few weeks ago, they were seriously calling my name. I have never been a big pastry lover but I honestly couldn't stop looking at them while eating my breakfast. Anyways, I ordered the blueberry one and haven't looked back since. I am now on week four of pastry consumption. Every week I have ordered a different one to see what they all taste like. So far I have had blueberry, strawberry mango, blackberry and today I had plum. By the time I have finished my tart, I am ALREADY looking forward to the one I will try the following weekend. Don't worry though, my Mum said all the fruit on the top of the tart MUST mean it's low in calories ;)

Well I have better go sort out this oven {by that I mean watch Ryan sort out this oven}. Wish me luck!! xxx




No comments :

Post a Comment